Monday, January 31, 2005

A Special Substitute Teacher

Choir,

Awesome to have Eric Whitacre visit our blog, isn't it? Again, thanks to Delia for stepping out and inviting him to read our thoughts about his piece.

NOW . . . .

This week another important person will visit you, and this time in the rehearsal hall. I have no doubt that you will be on your best behavior and that you will learn much. I regret that I will not be with you to learn from Dr. Jordan. I look forward to hear what he concentrated on during his time with you . . . it will make us all better musicians.

I have always believed that it is the person in front of the choir that makes the greatest difference in a choir's accomplishment, sound, and musicality. Dr. J is the one that taught me this . . . I think you will see what I mean.

So, I'm off to LA early in the morning. I'll be presenting a session entitled "Simplifying the Conductor's Lifestyle: Making Technology Work for You."

You can read or see the presentation here. I've also got a links page to information I reference in the presentation. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Katie Mo said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR COPELAND!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
(and many more...)

<3

Katie Mo said...

Dr Copeland!
I had a dream about Eric Whitacre last night!
Based on the picture you had in your blog, cept he looked older and had like a faux hawk that wasn't spiked up.
He came to our choir and kept asking us to sing the pieces that we knew from him (also he had written Der Tanz, but it was definitely different from the one we sang) and he told us that we were amazing! And that was about it. He conducted us for a while.
so, that was pretty weird.
I don't think I've dreampt about choir before.