Thursday, March 22, 2007

Si, ch'io vorrei morire


See the FONT inspired by the Madrigal.

Or do some heavy reading on the Monteverdi Madriglas.

A better translation of the text:




Si, ch'io vorrei morire

Sì, ch'io vorrei morire,
ora ch'io bacio, amore,
la bella bocca del mio amato core.
Ahi, cara e dolce lingua,
datemi tanto umore,
che di dolcezza in questo sen m'estingua!
Ahi, vita mia, a questo bianco seno,
deh, stringetem fin ch'iovenga meno!
Ahi bocca, ahi baci, ahi lingua; torn' a dire:
Sì, ch'io vorei morire!

MAURIZIO MORO

Yes, I would like to die

Yes, I would like to die,
now that I'm kissing, sweetheart,
the luscious lips of my darling beloved.
Ah! dear, dainty tongue,
give me so much of your liquid
that I die of delight on your breast!
Ah, my love, ah, crush me
to this white breast until I faint!
Ah mouth, ah kisses, ah tongue, I say again: Yes, I would like to die!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the weirdest thing i have ever read. "give me so much of your liquid that i die of delight on your breast"?

jhood

Anonymous said...

not so strange, really, just a little graphic--- you realize that die means orgasm?

Anonymous said...

Renaissance poetry is full of flowery imagery and Monteverdi's fourth book is no exception. Here, 'morire' can mean a literal, emotional, spiritual or even sexual dying. If you ever get the chance to watch the film, The Full Monteverdi, the metaphor will be crystal clear.

Kelsey said...

I believe "umore" is better translated as "humor", not liquid. I always implied from this a reference to the beloved's spirit, not their bodily fluids. I think this text, and the setting of it, convey the sense of delight at total, complete union with one's companion.

Anonymous said...

the humors were indeed bodily liquids in the Renaissance: blood, phlegm, and black and green bile. I don't think any of these are meant specifically.