Wednesday, June 29, 2005

More Than I Hoped For

Mrs. Reynolds gave me the journal entries that the choir wrote on the way home from Atlanta to Birmingham. I found them to be wonderfully written and some quite profound. Over the next couple of days I'm going to post them here to share with the world. We had an incredible experience in France and these words will remind us of our time together.

From Tara Valentine Howard:

Through the culture shock, jet-lag, strange foods, and beautiful cities the UAB Concert Choir touched many people of many nations while doing what they do best: making beautiful music with the voices of 36 amazing musicians.

I'll never forget the way it felt to perform at Notre Dame Cathedral, Saint Rita's Church and at the competition in Tours. The people in France may not know how to smile while passing on the streets, but they sure know how to make great musicians feel appreciated. With their "chant-like" clapping, stomping, and screaming when you finish singing the best you have ever sung in your life, you can't help but feel completely satisfied and overwhelmed by the power of music as a universal language.

Although we could not understand the language of the different people, the smiles and tears of those who heard us sing proved that UAB Concert Choir is not just a choir you "hear," it is a choir you "experience."

I have never been this proud in my life and will never forget this amazing experience and opportunity to be the best I can be.

Thanks to Dr. Copeland and the UAB Music department for allowing me to be part of such a "moving" group.

Au revoir merci . . .

No comments: