Monday, April 19, 2010

Harry's brother

Concert Choir,
I figure that you've heard by now about the tragic death of Harry Miree's brother this past weekend. (obituary here)

I contacted the family with the offer of our choir singing at the funeral and Harry's mother graciously accepted my offer. I'll find out later this morning about the details, but here is what I know now:

  • the funeral is tuesday, april 20 at 3:00 p.m.
  • it is at Independent Presbyterian Church (map here)
  • we will meet there at the church at 2:00
  • We will wear our tuxedos and dresses - avoid perfume, it will be warm in the choir loft
  • I'm not sure what we will sing, but be ready for:
Esti dal
There will be rest
Abide with Me

Abide With Me (arr. Moses Hogan)
Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

In life and death, O Lord, abide with me.

There Will Be Rest (Frank Ticheli)

There will be rest, and sure stars shining
Over the roof-tops crowned with snow,
A reign of rest, serene forgetting,
The music of stillness holy and low.

I will make this world of my devising
Out of a dream in my lonely mind.
I shall find the crystal of peace,
– above me Stars I shall find.

--Sara Teasdale

Esti dal (Zoltan Kodaly)
Translation:
As I lay down for the night by the edge of the woods,
I pull my blanket up to my chin.
I put my hands together,
Thus imploring you, my good Lord

My Lord, grant me a place to stay,
For I’ve grown tired of wandering,
Of hiding,
Of living in a foreign land

My Lord, grant me a good night.
Send me your blessed angel
To give courage to the dreams in our hearts.

--

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was an honor to be there for Harry and his family. Hug all of your family members tonight and make sure they know how much you love them. Call the ones who live away. Life is precious and short. I'm proud to be a part of this group. Love, Nancy