Monday, March 21, 2005

Top Techs I Want to Explore

Tablet PC

I was surprised to find out that Sarah and Erin had not heard of the Tablet PC. I've been exploring them lately in the hopes of winning a grant to purchase one. I didn't get the grant, but I'm still following them pretty closely. If I were a student, I'd purchase one in a heartbeat. Check this site out for more information, ye students of mine: Student Tablet PC

By the way, the other thing that I wish that I had had when I was a student was MindManager. It is an incredible tool. Freeware version of mindmapping software can be found here.


Podcasting

I doubt I'll get into actually doing a podcast, but I'm interested enough in exploring what they are like. It does sound interesting and could be an educational venture for the choral director. We'll see.

Creating a Wiki

I see a real need for these in choral music. Especially a choral literature wiki.

del.icio.us

Looks interesting but I haven't figured it out yet. It looks like a place to store categories of links to places on the web.

There are a few others to mention but I've run out of time. Perhaps another entry later.

9 comments:

Clayton said...

Since i am a real student, and you are only an instructor, you could buy me a tablet pc and use me as your guinea pig! Sounds like a plan! I do like the WIKI stuff too. looks interesting and ill check it our more later!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

There is a choral wiki here, although it doesn't appear to have a great deal of info in it at the moment. Also, it's not part of the main wikipedia. But at least it's a start.

Sarah LH said...

wow all of that was totally over my head.

Clayton said...

Dr.C, Im lost with all the wiki stuff. Some explanations on what exactly it is would help!

scivley said...

Hey lately every time I go to your page, this message pops up:
“Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site’s security certificate. The security certificate is from a trusted certifying authority. The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid. The security certificate has a valid name matching the name of the page you are trying to view. Do you want to proceed? Yes/No/View Certificate”
Just wondering what that is about…
Oh, and yes, the tech talk is Greek to me too! lol. I’m glad you’re having fun with your new toys though :)

Keith said...

I get the same warning. It scared me the first time it popped up!

On the "tech" note:

I got a voice recognition program for my PC over the weekend and I've just spent the past two hours reading selections from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to it (now named India) so it will recognize my voice.

I want it to be like HAL9000... er um without the fatal glitch thing!

I can now ask "India" what time it is and "she" will tell me in an apathetic voice.

Clayton said...

Keith, That rocks extremely hard! I used a voice recognition program my first year at UAB in a math class I had. It was called "Dragonspeak". I had to have least spent 6 hours reading lists of words to that thing. It was very interesting.

delia said...

i wanted a tablet pc...but they are too much money, also ive been using mindmagager's free trial, its about up and i am going to be so sad b/c i dont have the money to buy it...why are the things that you like and i coul dbenefit from always so expensive?

Katie Mo said...

wow, that was all in a different language. COOL!
(i didn't understand a word of it.)