Thursday, October 20, 2005

Great songs inspire great thoughts

Don't miss this post by Keith, one of the philosophers of the UAB Concert Choir. It is a long post, so be ready as he weaves a "rope" out of several ideas. I was moved by several of the words, and especially these:

"If I can Help" for me is what I call in my personal life an "epiphany'. Sometimes in life the heart mind and body seem to be all flying in different directions until something somewhere from the outside pulls them together and makes them be still. It is in those brief moments that you get a little glimpse at the order of the universe... that you feel like you really are a part of some type of cycle... that it is not chaos... that you are a part of it and meant to be there... that there is a larger plan and you are a part of the equation. For me, these things usually involve places where man and nature have come together and compliment one another. There is some sort of harmony in that. I think musicians should understand that well. Sound is natural and exists on it's own but music is man complimenting what G-d has created.
As I said in the title of this post, great songs inspire great thoughts. Profound words, especially when coupled with incredible music, can effect real change on a person's life. When we ingest the message of the song, it manifests itself in our lives as well as our faces. If we have experienced its message, we cannot help but show it on our faces. I'm looking for inspired singing tonight. Thanks for pointing the way, Keith.

1 comment:

MaliaHenson said...

Keith, I don't know who you are . . . but I'm lovin ya.