Sunday, January 23, 2005

Carnegie Hall: Spring 2006

Choir,

It is time to share the secret I alluded to a couple of weeks ago.

Earlier this month, I received a letter from MidAmerica productions asking me to guest conduct in Carnegie Hall in Spring 2006. I could not believe it! And of course, I want to take my choir with me . . . do you want to go?

It is quite an opportunity, to be sure and I'm going to do my best to make it happen.

The reason for the incredible offer: they've heard about the great singing you've been doing for the past couple of years. And that is the truth.

MidAmerica had a gentleman working for them that used to be the Director of Choral Activities at Troy State University. He's now back in Alabama at Vestavia Hills Baptist Church (his name is Dr. Terre Johnson). Terre has been keeping up with the choral scene in Alabama and heard that we were doing exciting things at UAB--thus, the invitation to me.

I've spoken with Dr. Reynolds about it and he is all for the idea. If possible, we'll unite several choirs around Alabama and present the work at the Alys Stephens Center in Spring 2006 and then take everyone up to New York for a few days of fun and fabulous experiences.

For the concert to happen, 175 singers are needed. I would hope that about 50 or more could come from UAB. If you've got ideas about choirs and programs to investigate/encourage, let me know.

Carnegie Hall, like singing in Notre Dame Cathedral, is an incredible opportunity as well as a very high honor for all involved. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Chris R. said...

I'd have to agree with my collegue Clay on this one. If high school choirs can go, MJHS is the way to go. Perhaps JCCHS, too.

If we go, I do hope we can at least go see a show on Broadway while we're there (my personal pick would be Phantom of the Opera, but I'm on a Phantom kick right now anyway), as well as maybe visit Ground Zero, and all of us could end the day at Starbucks, looking over our music for our concert at Carnegie Hall (or just hanging out, whichever happens first).

Katie Mo said...

HEY DR. COPELAND!
I <3 the computer lab.
Internet men possibly coming Thursday.

I just got an email from the almost-head of the English Department about my article in last week's K-scope! HOW COOL IS THAT?! Man, I am LOVED around this campus (hahaha)

HOW DO YOU GET TO CARNEGIE HALL?
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

oh yes, let's go. that would be incredible!

when i was a senior in high school we were supposed to go sing there as part of the memorial day shindig and we ended up singing at the "Olde Post Office." Man oh man is that a let-down. It's a mall. woo.

but !!! YES!!! LET'S GO!!! you have to ASK!? haha.

okay see ya tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

Rock de la Rock On.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I'm a student at Lambuth University and one of Dr. Bernhardt's choir/voice students :) He told us to check out your blog...so here I am!

Anyway, if you're looking to take more singers to New York...you should think about taking the Lambuth choirs :) we could all sing "Irish Blessing" together!Suggest it to Dr. B, he may be up to the idea!

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello! Happy singing!

Christie