Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Focused

To my new choir.

Something different happened to me this morning.

I woke up calm and I felt an intensity that has been lacking in myself for a period of time. I don't know how long, because it is the kind of thing that you don't miss when it isn't there, if that makes any sense.

Yesterday's rehearsal showed me that I'm on the right path, that I'm doing the right thing. After auditions, I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to point sixty-plus people in the right way - that I couldn't teach them to do the same exact thing at the same exact exact time. I was afraid that we were too big to create the kind of nuance that is required of an incredible choir.

I saw enough promise yesterday to know that I stand before a choir with enormous potential, both for today and tomorrow.

It will be an incredible year.

5 comments:

CarolineLSpears said...

Hey Dr. C!
I'm sure you all have an exciting and hard-working year!! Good luck to you guys!!
Oh, and congrats on getting the Chamber Choir!!

Katie Mo said...

I saw Amanda Gorsuch today! I have a class with her!

Anonymous said...

YAY for Deep River. I am glad we are singing that song.

jennyh

Anonymous said...

i lost count of how many sighs of relief i experienced in both rehearsals. dr. copeland, it's an honor.

~lindsey harrison lingerfelt

Anonymous said...

Indeed. This year is going to be a blast. It's very unfortunate that I can't make the UAB Fall Concert, since UAB Choir was my very reason for coming to this University.

Now all we have to do to make it perfect is sing "Lux Aurumque" by Eric Whitacre for the Spring semester...as it was during performing that song that I decided to become a Vocal Major.

-Mitch