Friday, September 23, 2005

Scively gets it . . . again.

Once again, Jennifer Scively is moved by the same text that moves me:

Ever in my life have I sought thee with my songs
It was they who led me from door to door,
And with them have I felt about me,
Searching and touching my world.

It was my songs that taught me all the lessons I ever learnt;
They showed me secret paths,
They brought before my sight many a star
On the horizon of my heart.

They guided me all the day long to the mysteries of the country
Of pleasure and pain, and, at last,
To what palace gate have they brought me
In the evening at the end of my journey?


Her favorite line is my favorite line:
It was my songs that taught me all the lessons I ever learnt;

She remarks: Our songs teach us about ourselves, help us better understand the world around us, and connect us to the divine.

Yes . . after I sing that line in my head, I am definitely connected to something else, whether it is my past . . . or my parents . . . or my children . . . or my future. There is a timelessness in those words. My new songs are teaching me new lessons . . . and the songs I give to my students teach them things that I was taught.

Thank you, Mr. Rabindranath Tagore for teaching me through your words and Mr. Miskinis for the great sounds.

No comments: